Micro-Ray: How to protect metal collection centers

Copper, lead and brass – The New Gold

Metal collection centers, auto demolition sites and any facility that houses alloys and metals, copper, lead and brass are prime targets for theft. They are the most used components in many industries and are highly sought after by specialized thieves. If you or your customers are in the business of construction, aerospace, electrical engineering, plumbing, automotive manufacturing, energy production or chemical plants, you require perimeter protection to give you the “heads-up” that your site is being breached. These metals are the new gold.

The requirement

Agosta Metalli, a scrap yard in the Lombardy district of Northern Italy, falls into this category. The length of the facility's perimeter is approximately 200 meters (over 600 feet), of which 70% borders city streets that allows easy intrusion and quick escape for adversaries. The remaining 30% of the site is located beside non-owned buildings, which have hidden areas that are difficult to monitor.

The challenge

In this mix of conditions, a single perimeter protection technology could not address the variety of potential risks. Each segment of the perimeter needed the right “fit” in terms of protection choice. In the old plant mixed detection systems were deployed: infrared barriers and physical fences (without any form of intrusion detection).

IR barriers were not effective in blinding fog and did not guarantee the maximum security of GRADE 4 EN505131. Fences (up to 6 meters/20 feet) in height were installed as a first defense layer without any electronic intrusion detection.

The solutions

To solve their need for efficient property protection, three (3) solutions were implemented including:

Solution #1

Three (3) MURENA Plus radars were installed on the access gates and roof, which, thanks to FSK technology combined with fuzzy logic analysis offer a precise cut-off range of the detection area and target sizing. The result is zero false alarms caused by small animals, such as cats and birds.

Solution #2

An electronic fence climbing detection system on the perimeter, to "upgrade" the defense from passive to active. SIOUX PRO2, a detection sensor system with latest generation? MEMS technology, gave the fence the ability to detect climbing attempts with intrusion pinpoint accuracy to within 1 meter (3.2 ft) of the climbing attempt thanks to evolved fuzzy logic analysis.

Solution #3

One MICRO-RAY linear microwave barrier was positioned as a "trap" (in between the scrap area and management office) to replace the Infrared barriers, which had limits with disqualification due to fog and poor visibility. The Micro-Ray columns were reinforced by a steel frame for additional protection from mechanical impact from moving machines that operate within the perimeter.

The result is a fully protected perimeter, whereby the whole system is wired to an existing Control Panel via relay contacts.

The existing (older generation) cameras with remote video verification will be updated with new, higher performing, higher definition cameras for better verification of any intrusion. A truly up-to-date layered solution for ultimate perimeter protection.